Thursday, August 6, 2009

Bouncing at Marco Polo Land, PEI

4:15 P.M. Update:



Twin Shores Campground, on the northern shores of PEI, probably earned its top rating from its beach. Here are a couple of foreigners from the mainland acting weird on its sandbank:



From Ce7eBr8 wAt3vR!


Morning's Post:

Yay, there's Wifi again; so the blog continues, from Marco Polo Land's campground on Prince Edward Island. Hang on for the pix ... the bandwidth, for some reason, is tiny.

From Ce7eBr8 wAt3vR!


The intent was to camp at Shediac, NB, touted as the world's lobster capital, but with a 40% chance of thunderstorms (which never happened) and campgrounds mostly full, we decided to take a chance at PEI a day early. But not before I'd stopped at the lobster stop right across the river from the great Shediac Lobster at the town entrance. Advertised price was $7.99/lb. The guy there weighed the sucker and said $8.00, and I said, "Great, one pound!" He swipes my VISA and I sign it, then I see it's for $10.00. When I asked, he said, "Yeah, $10." O well, so I paid another $2 for an education, which you guys get for free; caveat emptor!

From Ce7eBr8 wAt3vR!


But I did return to the shop and he shows me how to break up the lobster by hand--claws, shell, the works--which made me feel a bit better about the extra $2. But the lobster meat was, well, well worth it! Yummy!

From Ce7eBr8 wAt3vR!


So over the Confederation Bridge we go and, after an hour at the huge Gateway visitor centre-cum-tourist trap on the PEI side, we check in at the northern end of the island-province, at Marco Polo Land's campground. Its spacious, well-maintained grounds promised a nice, civilised stay. Number One advantage: no mosquitoes! O yeah, there are flies here, lots. But we'll trade them for them itchy, scratchy mozzies any day!

What's more, our neighbours are from Cambridge, Ontario, a really nice family with an 11-year-old boy looking to shoot paintball with my boys.

From Ce7eBr8 wAt3vR!


Nor did the rain come. So we had a time around their campfire before hitting the sack. But not before using the large, clean, modern shower-washrooms--the best so far! That's the Number Two plus. There's free Wifi, as mentioned, but it's dead s-l-o-w.

So here we are again this morning, packing up for another campground! This place is one busy place--and we're not even into next week yet, when the Canada Games are supposed to be held here. At least the boys packed in a little Ping Pong, Jumping Pillow, and swimming.



If at first you don't succeed ...


Keep jumpin'! (Or blame the Observer's Paradox)


As we move on, I'm reminded that all this tenting and de-tenting is a little like the nomadic earthly life of Abraham:
Hebrews 11:9By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. 10For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God.
Or, as one well-known gospel song goes, "This world is not my home; I'm just a-passin' through. If heaven's not my home, O Lord, what will I do? The angels beckon me from heaven's open door, and I can't feel at home in this world anymore."

No comments:

Post a Comment